Friday, September 7, 2012

The Sharpest Pencil in the Box!

It's like I have a sickness.... I adore office/ school supplies.  I love the sweet smell of sharpened pencils in the morning!  Towards the end of last school year, my teacher partner and I began to fantasize over a little pencil sharpener that we have been seeing around the Internet.... best of all, it's been teacher endorsed and the company is run by a teacher.

Firehouse Red

If you haven't met this precious little thing... let me introduce you to another back-to-school must have! 

It arrived fast- like within the week!
          

I tested it out.... totally loved it.  However, the true test is whether a first grader can do it (thus leaving me alone to teach the rest of the class!)
 
We started school this week- I know, it's a Michigan thing.  Anyway, in preparation for the littles that seem to literally eat pencils each year, I asked a 5th grade helper (Alex- Nature Girl's son) to test it out.  Yes, I conned him into working for me in order to figure out the mechanics of it all (he's THAT kid- I'm sure he would have dissected it if I weren't there!).  Alex was amazed.  I was amazed at Alex's excitement.  Again, a teacher's kid!
 
 

 
We all know that the true test of all sharpeners is the colored pencils.  I'm happy to say that I sharpened about 3 dozen of those before I hit a snag.... cue sad music.  I panicked.  Oh, crap- I broke it!  I didn't really, just broke off a tip when I was watching True Blood PBS.  I easily took it apart and shook out the lead.
 
This week, I also had some firsties test it out.  They didn't know why (we had 50 sharpened on the other side of the room), but did it anyway.  They are 6 years old- they'll agree to just about any "helper" jobs, no matter how lame :)
 
There you have it!  A true test of a new favorite.  Now, to make sure my hallway teachers don't snag it from my desk.

Click HERE for more information or to purchase.

Hurray!  I made it through the first week back to school!

1 comment:

  1. I have one it is the best! My firsties are great at using it and everyone in the school that stops by my is amazed by it too.

    Heather
    The Busy Busy Hive

    ReplyDelete