Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Amphibian sex-change

Got some startling news today...
I was concerned anout one of my red-bellied toads, so when I went to pick up crickets this morning I asked the guy working about it. I told him Oddball's symptoms (as if he were WebMD), then he looked at the other guy working- then looked at me again.

PetKid: Ma'am... he's not sick, he's just fine. This happens.
Me: What? They change colors?
PetKid: He just became a she.
Me: Wha, what?
PetKid: It happens if there are only 2 in the tank. The less dominent will adapt, as if to carry on the species.
Me: That's weird.
PetKid: That's nature, ma'am.

Apparently, Oddball was perfectly named by me little student!
Rosie, on the other hand, is a boy. 
Hmmm.... Even the class pets are weird! 


I checked on the internet (because EVERYTHING you read on the internet is TRUE!), but only found one study done.  Nothing on pet store sites.  The kid was probably feeding me a line. 

In the end, I just want my toads to be happy with who they are and that they are comfortable in their own bumpy skin.... even if it means that he becomes a she. 


5 comments:

  1. What a strange thing to happen (if it is true)! My fire-bellied toads will be coming back to class this year. They are such fun little creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, that's probably the last thing you expected to hear. So hilarious!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow- that is awesome! I've thought about getting some fire-bellied toads- what do you think of them as a classroom pet?

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are a GREAT class pet! I got them from a friend's friend for free with the whole set-up. The kids were enthralled with them. They are pretty active during school hours and even croak during quieter times of the day. The only part I don't like is buying them crickets every week to feed them. Sometimes, I would run out of time and my sweet hubby would go get some :)

    ReplyDelete