Friday, March 2, 2012

Mood lighting... for learning!

I'm not a fan of florescent lighting.  Period.  In fact, I would turn off half off my lights on most days and use assorted floor lamps.  I get that they are more cost-effective (yadda, yadda), but they give me a headache.  I swear the blinking when a bulb is on it's last leg will give me a seizure some day!  Anyway, I could just complain for the rest of my life, but I took the high road and decided to honor the learning environment that we were blessed with (a whole wall of windows with a great view).  Why let some light ruin our mood (and eyes!).

I did some shopping research on line and found the COOLEST product.  A company makes nylon light covers that are attached to the lighting fixtures with magnets.  They come in blue or cream.  The special ed room down the hall has blue.  It looks like this:

It's hard to tell the blue tint that it gives the room, but it was too much for me.  I didn't want to feel like I was under water! :)  Here is my room with the cream. 



It's much softer.  Teachers noticed the difference right away and have even been trying to get funds for their room.  I was able to get mine through DonorsChoose.org, but they are available at Amazon .  I've had them for over a month an LOVE them.  I actually have to squint when I walk into another room.  Well, maybe not really- I do have a flare for the dramatic at times :)

Happy Friday!

8 comments:

  1. Can you post about your ball chairs? I am really interested to learn about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted about the chairs here:
      http://newadventuresinfirstgrade.blogspot.com/2011/11/stability-ball-chairs.html

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, maybe we'll have PD there someday and I can check them out...or maybe we have some in our building that I don't know about. I'm curious though!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. Does it dim the light, or just change it's hue?
    Dragonflies in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the cream covers, the lights are just as bright, but more natural- like being outside. The blue covers changed the hue of the room.
      -Michele

      Delete
  4. Very cool!
    I gave you an award. Come on over to check it out!
    ❀Beth Ann❀
    Taming My Flock of Firsties
    bakteach16@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog! I have nominated you for the One Lovely Blog award. Stop by and see.

    Stacy
    www.mrsjohnsonsfirstgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michele, I'm an Italian Teacher I'm in love with this pics!! The class is pefect and I like the balls, In Italy it isn't possiblile.... I'll follow you, for your positive example ;-)
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete